A Suggestion for a Possible Feature Related to the Forums

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

Unbalanced
Aficionado
Aficionado

A Suggestion for a Possible Feature Related to the Forums

Post by Unbalanced »

Good Day Scott,

I would like to suggest a feature that some may agree would be a reasonably good addition to this site.

This is in regards to a collection of "private forums" that could be established and whose admittance would be automatic according to the "status" of the individual.

As an example, there could possibly be created a Forum for those members who, through their submissions and goodwill have obtained the status of "Respected". Another could be for only those those who have obtained a "Well Regarded" status.

This would require a software addition that I am not familiar with.

The outcome of such an addition would be a relatively safer place for those who have demonstrated a willingness to abide by the rules, who have shown a willingness to share ideas and have demonstrated goodwill among like minded individuals with less concern for encountering negative feedback, poor collaboration, or outright piracy.

Another positive of a structure such as this, would be an incentive for newer members to act in a manner according to forum rules and open collaboration so that their eventual elevated status would automatically enable them entry into a more private arena to share their ideas.

Another possible aspect of this idea would be to allow those who have achieved the highest status to vote on banning those who have consistently demonstrated disruptive behavior rather than leaving this chore to you as a moderator solely.

This in no way would keep those with the highest status from reading the posts of and mentoring to those that are new to this pursuit as they would have automatic admittance to every forum below their highest earned forum.

It would allow those that have seriously pursued this endeavor, a forum wherein they had a modicum of privacy to discuss among themselves the merits of new members and their designs as well as to seek collaboration from individuals who have been at this pursuit as long and seriously as themselves.

I personally have access to all of the private forums here and it is not out of a feeling of being ostracized that I suggest this.

Forums that require an invitation have their place and merit.

Just a thought I felt worthy of putting forward.

With all best regards for putting together a great site, Curtis
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

re: A Suggestion for a Possible Feature Related to the Forum

Post by jim_mich »

Unbalanced wrote:I personally have access to all of the private forums here and it is not out of a feeling of being ostracized that I suggest this.
That is very not true, unless you have hacked the forums. You are a member of only one private forum group that has 19 members:
AB Hammer's Forum (19) This is an open group

You are NOT a member of the other 15 forum groups:
Bloggers (8)
David Jenkins' Forum (12) This is an open group
DrWhat's Forum (2) This is an open group
Gregory's Forum (8)
Grimer's Forum (5) No more users accepted
Jim_Mich's Forum (3)
John Collins' Forum (29)
Jon J Hutton's Forum (1) This is an open group (no members)
LustInBlack's Forum (23)
Magnum's Forum (5)
Michael's Forum (1) No more users accepted (no members)
Mr.Umez's Forum (10)
Patrick's Forum (6)
Stewart's Forum (6)
Subramani's Forum (7)

Anyone can click the groups button to see what forums any member has access to.

Unbalanced
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Unbalanced »

I totally forgot that forums I am not a member of will not show up on my forum home screen. That's hilarious, now I do feel left out!

Oh well, it was only a suggestion.

Thanks for pointing that out Jim
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Jim,

There are more than 15, at least one more that I am aware of, (mine) 'Gravity Solutions Group' can be added to your list. Where as mine is private there is the possibility that even more exist. Private groups do not show up under Group membership unless you are a member of that group.

'Arrache' 'Gravity Solutions Group' (GSG) which is currently on hold has 52 topics with 1,758 posts, the largest volume of all the private forums I have privy to.

Ralph
justsomeone
Addict
Addict

Post by justsomeone »

I am curious as to how secure these private groups are.
. I can assure the reader that there is something special behind the stork's bills.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

justsomeone,

They appear to be secure, others who shall remain nameless have openly tested the security to their own satisfaction. No one to date that I am aware of has ever gained access to to a private forum without being invited by the moderator.

The only exception left to doubt is the owner/moderator of this forum, Scott Ellis and I have complete trust in his discretion.
rasselasss
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by rasselasss »

I am disappointed to read such an idea posted ,to suggest private forums for so called "Peers"based on reputation or rank should even be considered to me would show "elitism"...i had believed we were here for the one common aim,after looking at the membership register and the ACTUAL number of members who contribute ,we must encourage participation by not behaving in a manner or attitude that does not enhance or have a welcoming effect....whilst Groups is understandable to me....people with like minds etc.....it does give a closed club of secrecy to members on the "outside"and should be avoided .....there are enough ignore etc. safeguards for unwarranted annoyance which can distract from the flow of thought in a blog...but thats life in every sphere....please take no offence at my thoughts on this matter...
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

I understand private forums are a polarizing issue. For my part I have no problem with it. Thanks for the suggestion Curtis, but as you can see there are already plenty of private forums. If you'd like your own just let me know. :-)

And Ralph is correct, they are as secure as your password or anything else on the Internet. There was only one time when people had access to a private forum without permission for a few days and that was just an error on my part in setting the permissions correctly.

To dispel all the speculation, there are currently 19 private forums, most of which are pretty lonely and inactive.

Ralph is right, as admin of the site I automatically have access to all the forums, though I leave the moderation entirely to the owner. Thanks Ralph for your kind remarks.

-Scott
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Re: re: A Suggestion for a Possible Feature Related to the F

Post by Grimer »

rlortie wrote:
The only exception left to doubt is the owner/moderator of this forum, Scott Ellis and I have complete trust in his discretion.
Me too - although I think you could have done with an extra comma there, Ralph, otherwise it sounds as though Scott has complete trust in his own discretion. Image
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?
AB Hammer
Addict
Addict

Re: re: A Suggestion for a Possible Feature Related to the F

Post by AB Hammer »

rlortie wrote:Jim,

There are more than 15, at least one more that I am aware of, (mine) 'Gravity Solutions Group' can be added to your list. Where as mine is private there is the possibility that even more exist. Private groups do not show up under Group membership unless you are a member of that group.

'Arrache' 'Gravity Solutions Group' (GSG) which is currently on hold has 52 topics with 1,758 posts, the largest volume of all the private forums I have privy to.

Ralph
Hay Ralph

I thought you where deleting "Gravity Solutions Group" ?
"Our education can be the limitation to our imagination, and our dreams"

So With out a dream, there is no vision.

Old and future wheel videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/ABthehammer/videos

Alan
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Alan,

In answer to your above question;

Your above quote was posted Mar 09, 2012 07:09, 14 months ago.

As moderator of 'GSG' I cannot delete it, only hold or limit its use. The forum still exists just as other much older unused private forums, and can be activated with Scott's approval any time I wish. At present I do not intend to do so, at least for the next 11 months.

Ralph
AB Hammer
Addict
Addict

Post by AB Hammer »

Thanks Ralph