Devotee
Devotee

Re: re: Some thoughts on thermal conductivity

Post by preoccupied »

murilo wrote:preoccupied:
- Common sense will help a lot.
Take care, but not so much!
M#i#
Why did you remove most of your post? I think you made some points.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain
preoccupied
Devotee
Devotee

Post by preoccupied »

oldNick wrote:when sea ice melts the sea level drops only when ice on land melts can sea level rise but lots of it evaporates and stays in the air, because warm air holds more water.
I think I might have misquoted you and I was taking you at your word for the description earlier... I think some punctuation or whatever, the point is I was being very sarcastic in that post. I'm sorry. You are probably missing periods and commas that would make your statement make more sense to the reader.

When the ice freezes it should take up more volume and should mostly cause the water levels to rise. So when the polar ice melts the sea level drops. When land ice melts the sea level rises. Therefore, and I am not sure if I'm saying the opposite of what climate scientists say, if the ice caps were to all melt and the land glaciers were to stay frozen, there would be a larger coastline because of dropping sea levels. I could have swore that I've heard people say sea levels would rise when the ice melts. Why do I think that? Why am I thinking the opposite of what people are saying? What am I stupid or something?

Lets see if I'm just stupid!

Question:

Water expands when frozen. True or False?

If False, preoccupied needs to take a nap.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain
rlortie
Addict
Addict

re: Some thoughts on thermal conductivity

Post by rlortie »

Yes water expands when frozen or heated for that matter!
Although most of the contributions to sea-level rise come from water and ice moving from land into the ocean it turns out that the melting of floating ice causes a small amount of sea-level rise, too.

Globally, it doesn't sound like much – just 0.049 millimetres per year – but if all the sea ice currently bobbing on the oceans were to melt, it could raise sea level by 4 to 6 centimetres.

Fresh water, of which icebergs are made, is less dense than salty sea water. So while the amount of sea water displaced by the iceberg is equal to its weight, the melted fresh water will take up a slightly larger volume than the displaced salt water. This results in a small increase in the water level.
IIRC two thirds of an iceberg is displaced by weight of salt water.
preoccupied
Devotee
Devotee

Post by preoccupied »

rlortie, Personally, what do you think about my hypothesis?

1. volume of gases collecting heat energy (atmosphere density)
2. thermal conductivity speed (atmosphere density)
3. south pole consuming the entire planet without north pole (hypothesis)
4. North pole required to create enough oxygen
5. Russia freezes and cools arctic
6. Whole world turns gases into solids
7. preoccupied wins everybody's heart
Ed
Addict
Addict

Post by Ed »

preoccupied wrote:Lets see if I'm just stupid!
Okie dokie. ;-)
preoccupied wrote:Question:

Water expands when frozen. True or False?

If False, preoccupied needs to take a nap.
Yes, water expands while freezing, you are correct. However, you apparently need to expand your knowledge of how displacement works. Have you ever seen the level in a glass of ice water go down as the ice melts? Or up for that matter? Also, the sea level will rise when antarctic ice (pesky land ice & sharks!) melts, but not floating arctic ice.
IIRC two thirds of an iceberg is displaced by weight of salt water.
YDRC. An iceberg is gonna do the displacing, not the other way 'round. Especially a Morton's iceberg! :-)

rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

preoccupied,

I just dropped by to say that yes, water expands when frozen.

As for your hypothesis, this subject matter is not on my list of forte topics to be discussing. As you can see Ed has already corrected me about ice displacement. :-)

All I know is that there is a difference between fresh water ice in fresh water and fresh water ice in salt water.

Ralph
preoccupied
Devotee
Devotee

Post by preoccupied »

Very nice Ed

I didn't take time to analyze water levels when thinking about the topic here. Remember, I pulled this whole hypothesis out of my Angle Side Side in a few minutes... If I had put a lot of effort into researching climate science then I wouldn't have had to ask some questions that I should have already known.

It's a really good hypothesis that I have here. I would really enjoy people talking about the specifics of my hypothesis. Don't discredit me without carefully considering it for what it says.

EDIT/ I have a damaged intelligence. I am likely to think of good hypothesis's anyways. Remember, I have been hit on the head several times before in the last decade. Everything that I do is mostly new to me.
Last edited by preoccupied on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Damn!

I swear I have heard this story before! Not just once but a number of times.

The name changes but the change in personality withers.

Ralph
preoccupied
Devotee
Devotee

Post by preoccupied »

rlortie, when you say withers do you mean "to lose the freshness of youth"?

I know you have heard this story before. Maybe I should just stand firm like a castle guard and reserve saying anything despite an annoyance.

You wouldn't have made that statement if James Lingaard wasn't making multiple accounts on all of the forums and insulting people. He claimed to have some kind of head injury but he was obviously lying.

My point is I was not uneducated like I appear to be so my Hypothesis's should have Credibility. I have okay background knowledge, it's just a little hazy is all. I want to believe my potential is really high. Don't you think that's a possibility? If you give my hypothesis's a chance, I think you will find me to be correct. I am a very careful thinker. Believe it.
murilo
Addict
Addict

Post by murilo »

preoccupied wrote:
murilo wrote:preoccupied:
- Common sense will help a lot.
Take care, but not so much!
M#i#
Why did you remove most of your post? I think you made some points.
No, I didn't!
You're frying your brain and that's is good!
Thinking will not solve your problems and questions, but if you don't think you'll never solve something...
TC!
Any intelligent comparison with 'avalanchedrive' will show that all PM turning wheels are only baby's toys!
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

preoccupied,

You are the one making reference to James Lingaard, not me. I simply stated that I had heard the story before, no implications made, I left that up to you!

If you are not James Lingaard, then their is no annoyance and you have nothing to stand guard over.

I give your your hypothesis's all the chance it needs, I am not involving myself. I am illiterate regarding such knowledge and feel it is best not to participate.

Ralph
Last edited by rlortie on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
preoccupied
Devotee
Devotee

Post by preoccupied »

Murilo, yes you did remove most of your post. You had like maybe 12 lines with one broken English sentence in each paragraph. Right now you just have one short sentence that says "Common sense will help a lot.".

I'm not sure but I think you were criticizing me when you made your post with the 12 different broken sentences/paragraphs. I'm okay that you withdrew what you posted. It was frustrating anyways because I didn't understand where you were getting your information from, because you were obviously not talking about my hypothesis.

Thank you Murilo. You amuse me.
preoccupied
Devotee
Devotee

Post by preoccupied »

rlortie wrote:preoccupied,

You are the one making reference to James Lingaard, not me. I simply stated that I had heard the story before, no implications made, I left that up to you!

If you are not James Lingaard, then their is no annoyance and you have nothing to stand guard over.

Ralph
What? Are you trying to be silly? :) People who have only read this forum This Year would know that the only person you could have been referring to is James Lingaard. As far as I know that guy got some respect from Cloud Camper because Jim_Mich criticized him, since cloud camper is on a rampage of criticism vs Jim_Mich. Other than that James Lingaard is always automatically voted down to should be banned red dots by the forum members. When I first joined the Forum AB_Hammer immediately accused both me and Tyler of being that guy because we were new. I haven't seen Tyler on the forum since. I wish it were just friendly hazing but I don't think you guys were that cool. You all literally freaked out about this guy.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

First off, I am not freaked out over Lingaard, I broke away from him on overunity.com before he showed up back here the last two times.

Second, no one to my knowledge is automatically blocked unless by moderator, I do not red dot anyone unless I feel they have proven to deserve it. I did not red dot lingaard the last two times he showed up here. I did not have to nor did he give me reason. He stayed off my back but not Alan's.

Ralph
preoccupied
Devotee
Devotee

Post by preoccupied »

Sorry rlortie... How did we start talking about this? Oh yeah, it was my fault. It's inappropriate for me to mention that I got hit on the head a few, maybe a dozen times in this last decade from assaults. I felt it when I was writing it. I can see it now. I regret it.