My computer doesn't recognise when I have read a post

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

daxwc
Addict
Addict

My computer doesn't recognise when I have read a post

Post by daxwc »

My computer doesn't recognise when I have read a post like it used to. It only updates when I physically log out which ones were read. I am sure it is probably just my computer skills, but what is the fix?
What goes around, comes around.
daxwc
Addict
Addict

re: My computer doesn't recognise when I have read a post

Post by daxwc »

In fact it doesn't even reconise me when I post. I go to the top of the unread.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Hey daxwc,

The forum software seems to be storing 5 cookies with my browser. I think in some of those cookies is where the information you are talking about is stored.

You might want to check, then, to see if your browser is still accepting cookies from the forum or if it is perhaps blocking some of them. In my browser, there is a "cookies" option under "Edit/Preferences/Privacy & Security" that gives access to this information.

I can also check the permission to accept cookies for a given web page in my browser's "View/Page Info/Permission" tab.

If your browser still has permission to accept the cookies, it could possibly be a storage problem.

I hope this might be of some help.

Dwayne
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.
daxwc
Addict
Addict

Post by daxwc »

Thanks Dwayne for trying to help. It is weird I should have specified it is not every thread I read is not reconised ... maybe half. It also happens on my smart phone, so I think I must have something wrong on my discussion board preferences somewhere?

Not a big deal; just not the way it was a few years back.
( it has been like this for a while that is how big of a non-issue it is)
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

You're welcome. I'm not sure what's going on, then. I've not had the problem you've described.

I looked on my own profile page and didn't see an option regarding marking posts read. You might want to double check me and take a look at yours.

There is also a "Delete Cookies" link on the forum index page. Here's the direct link:

http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/remove_cookies.php

You might want to click on that to delete your cookies and start fresh. I just tried it and it didn't seem to break anything, at least.

You will need to close and restart your browser and then log back into the forum afterwards, though.

P.S.

I just logged into the forum for the first time with my Android device. I don't know if using multiple devices to access the forum could confuse things, but I'll keep an eye out for that.
I prefer working alone.
daxwc
Addict
Addict

Post by daxwc »

Strangely I had just deleted cookies and logged on a different browser just before you posted I guess. It read 1 new post since your last visit but when I clicked on it nothing was there. When I flipped back to the main forum I seen there was a new post yours as I seen your name in the Tech forum.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

I looked on my own profile page and didn't see an option regarding marking posts read. You might want to double check me and take a look at yours.
Marking posts read is not part of your profile, it is top right corner of each topic or index.

Do not know if it may be part of the problem but while typing this I just got a pop up; "A new Firefox update is available"

I will post this and then download it.

Ralph
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

Hey Ralph,

Thanks. I'm aware of the "Mark all forums read" on the main index and the "Mark all topics read"on the forum indexes, though. I was instead looking to see if there was perhaps something else that might affect whether or not a new post was marked "read" automatically when its thread was visited. That seems to be the normal behavior.

daxwc,

Could you have possibly visited some of the threads without having been logged in?

...or maybe if you use tabs like me it doesn't see all browser connections as part of the same session?

I'm just making guesses.
I prefer working alone.
daxwc
Addict
Addict

Post by daxwc »

Thanks again Dwayne, it is working now. Not extactly sure what fixed it as I did many things like change my email address and reactivate my account, erase all cookies and etc.

But I really think it was caused by my Iphone and leaving the tab open? Or maybe from not properly logging out on both units?
daxwc
Addict
Addict

Post by daxwc »

"In fact it doesn't even reconise me when I post. I go to the top of the unread."

Although this still happens that when I post, the forum says I have an unread post and it is my own post I just posted. I don't believe it used to do that years ago.
daxwc
Addict
Addict

Post by daxwc »

Recently I got the black screen of death on start up on a forced update. After I had to reinstall all of Windows and the forum now acts like it used to. That might be some help of members in the future.