Designing an efficient domestic water supply system.

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

racer270
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by racer270 »

Fletcher wrote:
jim_mich wrote:Hi Fletcher,

How is your cell phone coverage and your internet out there?

I remember when I first joined the Bessler forum about 10 years ago, all I had was dial-up with 5 miles of copper phone line that limited the speed to 28 Kb. It typically took a couple minutes of downloading each time I went to another posting. I soon logged more online time than any other forum member simply because of my very slow internet connection.

I now have a fast Verizon 4G cellphone hotspot for my internet. Though I'm in a slight valley, I get a good strong signal from the Verizon tower about 6 miles away on the other side of the local village.

Fletcher, you do realize we all envy your living in a tropical paradise. :)}

Hey Jim .. I split my time between Suva & Savusavu where the property is - here is Suva I have just recently upgraded to unlimited broadband, though the speed varies greatly depending on the day & who is on it at the same time - mostly it's reliable these days - in SS I don't have internet by choice [that may change] - years ago when I was thinking thru the future development options I took the punt not to run copper telco lines or fibre optics to the property along with the mains power - I figured that technology would catch us up - turned out to be a good decision because we had 3G, now being upgraded to 4G in the area - I could get internet with a USB & cell connection for data as well as calls etc if I wanted it - normally when I'm there I turn castaway retro & watch dvd's [no satellite by choice] every now & then, read a lot, & talk to people, usually people staying [no, not Wilson] or expats & over a beer or gin or two.

I can see how the simple life in a warm climate, in a beautiful place, could be attractive ;7)

Shout yourself a trip to the south pacific & come visit - we could have some fun - if I solve this riddle I might shout you :)

hi Fletcher,
i have not had a internet service provider in 6 years ,
i learned how to use Wifi radio , to pick it up as far away as 125 miles.all be it at that distance it's just above 54kb,.. but usable.
ive made 18 to 30 mile links with grate success.., that i could use it with no need for Sat TV..

these day's im only 5 miles away , from a open internet router ,ive been on it for over 1 and 1/2 years....:) , it's hooked into a level 3, communication system , that's a world wide company..., with no usage limit..from a forestry lookout tower....,:)

because there is only hi priced Sat WIFI,. with a 10 Gig limit were i live.
and i speed test 5 meg up & down.. 4- free.
daanopperman
Devotee
Devotee

re: Designing an efficient domestic water supply system.

Post by daanopperman »

Hi Fletcher ,

Sorry to hear about the storm in Fiji .
Have you missed the storm or did it also caught up with you .

regards
Daan .
ME
Addict
Addict

Post by ME »

Came here to post the same thing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C_z6EuUHLQ
And now 'Winston' and 'friends', leave those Fiji-people alone!
Marchello E.
-- May the force lift you up. In case it doesn't, try something else.---
WaltzCee
Addict
Addict

Post by WaltzCee »

At Savusavu, resident John Tamaki said the cyclone arrived earlier than expected.

"We were still trying to help neighbours along the Hibiscus Highway on Saturday afternoon when strong winds and heavy rain started. So we all ran up to a hill for safety and our cars were parked on the road. We were shocked when the huge waves and strong winds gushed on to the road and pushed our cars to the side," he said.
http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=342710

In many coastal villages in Fiji, every house was destroyed, as the wind, storm surge, and waves up to 40 feet high combined to produce catastrophic damage.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... _fiji.html

Pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/FijianGovernment/photos_stream
........................¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the future is here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Advocate of God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth and redeemer of my soul.
Walter Clarkson
© 2023 Walter W. Clarkson, LLC
All rights reserved. Do not even quote me w/o my expressed written consent.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Thanks fella's.

Here in the capital Suva in Viti Levu we got whacked by 'Winston' passing thru last Saturday evening, eye about 120 kms away. Sunday was a massive cleanup at our compound with a tree in the pool and a tree fallen on the roof of the house. No serious damage that a cane knife, a yard rake and some sweat couldn't fix in a day. Good to get the boy and the wife working ;7)

Just got power back in our suburb a day or two ago, rolling and rationed at the moment, as new areas brought back on line. Trees and power lines down in the main. Coms and internet coming back on line here. Had water throughout.

Spare a thought for the poor people in the bleaches who had their entire homes destroyed all around Fiji. Many villages and areas in Fiji completely decimated. Latest count 42 dead.

Savusavu is a different matter. Winston traversed from east to west passing just to the east of Taveuni Island not far from Savusavu. The south end was decimated. The eye then passed over Koro Island (also decimated) about 30 kms from our home near Savusavu on the south coast.

In Savusavu town 24 yachts and boats are ashore, some for good. Because it was close to the eye (about 40 kms) it was hit hard. Just about every power line is down, many many trees as well. Wharves and roads are being fixed. Power and water are out. No general coms as yet. News is leaking out and finding its way to us via emails as of yesterday.

Have had no contact with our caretaker family to see how they are (coms out). They won't have power for a month the govt says. Don't know the state of our houses or the property at large. A neighbours beach house 10 kms away was totaled by Winston along with others. Mine are strongly built so fingers crossed at this time. No news is good news, usually.

A low pressure storm surge at high tide swept inland in places destroying parts of the coastal highway (Buca Bay Road/Hibiscus Highway) as it did to the wharves etc. I think this was probably the major contributing factor to the neighbours house being demolished, rather than only wind damage. Piles in sand not strong enough or tied down sufficiently. But that's speculation at this stage. We will have got some storm surge damage at our property as it faces south although protected to some degree by a lagoon and fringing reef.

The Fijian people (Indo Fijians and I-Takei (native Fijians)) and the expats who choose to live here are amazingly resilient in times of disaster. They continue to smile showing a meter of teeth even when faced with total annihilation of everything they own and their villages. They are resourceful and their community spirit is strong. No one is every truly alone. Everything can be rebuilt in time. So far the damage estimated at 1 billion Fiji Dollars ($US 550 mill) I heard last night. Larger than the the GDP of Fiji.

Fingers crossed for the rest of the cyclone season which ends in April.
Last edited by Fletcher on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Good to hear from you mate, thanks for the update.
Mark
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Mark »

I'm glad to see that you and your family came through it okay. Had me a little worried.
Last edited by Mark on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaltzCee
Addict
Addict

Post by WaltzCee »

International and local donations can be made through the following account:
  • Bank: Australia New Zealand Banking Corporation
    Account Number: 12628523
    Account Name: Prime Minister’s National Disaster Relief and Rehabilitation: Cyclone Winston
    Swift Code: ANZ BFJFX
    BSB: 010 890
It is at the site:
http://reliefweb.int/report/fiji/fijian ... lief-funds

Donations won't be charged ach or exchange fees.

I think most were freaking.
........................¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the future is here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Advocate of God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth and redeemer of my soul.
Walter Clarkson
© 2023 Walter W. Clarkson, LLC
All rights reserved. Do not even quote me w/o my expressed written consent.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Update :

A friend and his wife who live at Buca Bay (pronounced Butha) phoned this afternoon. They managed to drive into Savusavu today (about 80 kms along the coastal Hibiscus Highway) and were at the yacht club bar celebrating their good fortune with other friends come back to start salvage operations of yachts etc. They also miraculously escaped any severe damage.

Anyways, they called in to our place on the way thru and our caretaker and family are fine. Only a few 'Raintree' down and none near our houses. A few glass louvers broken in the guest bedroom which has been boarded up. Otherwise amazingly little physical damage to the property. Build once, build right !

The beer will taste extra good down at the Holiday Inn tonight :7)
AB Hammer
Addict
Addict

Post by AB Hammer »

Fletcher

Sorry to here about the storm and glad to here your OK and best wishes on recoveries for everyone.

Alan
Jim Williams
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Jim Williams »

Understand Winston was the worst Southern Hemisphere cyclone in recorded history. Our nemesis is earthquakes. We have 50 (small ones) a week.

Glad to hear you and yours came through.

Jim W.
Make up reality
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

DrWhat in another thread wrote:You are a legend Fletcher for making constructive contributions. I always read your posts.

How is Fiji going?
Thought I'd reply in this thread DrWhat and not clutter Johndoe2's.

Been a long time since I gave an update. Lotsa water under bridges etc.

To make a short story long ;7)

Moved back to NZ 2 years ago now. Had moved the family to Fiji in May 2010 and that part of the adventure lasted 7 years. We had originally moved there for the duration of my wife's 3 year contract. I worked on our property in Vanua Levu (Savusavu). We decided to stay on past her contract expiry, and eventually she found other work. I did the construction for the Stage One waterfront lifestyle lots and was waiting on titles back in 2013. Well, that turned into a right royal bun-fight, with twists.

I couldn't get the subdivision passed. Then in 2014 the Fijian government changed the freehold land ownership laws. A foreigner couldn't own land or a house inside the municipal boundary (of town or city). They didn't like Chinese takeaways so thought this would slow things down. Foreigners could still buy a house and land, or vacant land outside towns and cities providing they built a dwelling within 2 years of taking ownership, to a minimum value of FJ$250K. About A$160K Oz. You can't even build a garage in Auckland for that, so no big deal. The market would adjust to the new paradigm, and slowly has.

Anyways, a politician in power and her husband (local identities) bought a largish island 50 meters off shore at the boundary with my estate and the neighbours, where the subdivision was. The husband wanted to negotiate access thru my subdivision to the main coastal road, which I was happy to sell him. Very quickly things turned ugly when it became apparent that he wanted free access, else I would find further holdups and troubles etc. Things gotta little heated between him and his mates and myself at the local watering hole a few times. Anyways the subdivision wasn't going anywhere fast, so made the decision to head back to NZ. We waited a few extra years so we could qualify and get dual citizenship, which makes things easier in the subdivision game. In the mean time started another subdivision which is well underway and not in the same area. This guy starts building a marina in the foreshore area of his island, and has no approvals whatsoever. He gets stopworked (cease and desist), and it eventually hits the papers. Wife resigns from parliament and her portfolio's for the environment etc. Karma or what. Then my surveyor gets called in by the new minister and asks that we resubmit for our titles and it will be passed. Once burnt twice shy. Will probably go ahead with that this year after things cool off sufficiently. Heading over there in a couple of months, to miss some of the winter here lol.

Man plans, God laughs. Too much sunshine makes a desert, so add a few humans and shake. The adventure continues.
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

Can't reply much as heading out. But thanks for the reply and update . Wow more headaches than designing a Bessler Wheel!

I was in Fiji last year for the first time. Loved it.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Wonderful tropical islands. Stunning beauty, great climate, and very friendly people. They have the highest happiness quotient in the world. For good reason. Many expats find their way there on holiday or to live, so eclectic and interesting communities as well.

Bessler's wheel is a walk in the park ;7)

Persistence beats resistance !