Covid-19

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

ovyyus
Addict
Addict

re: Covid-19

Post by ovyyus »

Fletcher wrote:We're all keeping it in double digits, depending on what side of the vax fence you are on lol.
Double digits is just 1 point below the average :P
WaltzCee
Addict
Addict

re: Covid-19

Post by WaltzCee »

If I ever get on who wants to be a millionaire your going to be my phone a friend.
........................¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the future is here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Advocate of God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth and redeemer of my soul.
Walter Clarkson
© 2023 Walter W. Clarkson, LLC
All rights reserved. Do not even quote me w/o my expressed written consent.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Covid-21

Post by agor95 »

I was thinking SARS-CoV 2 should be named with the main variant getting the year. So Alpha Covid-19, Delta Covid-20 & Omicron Covid-21.

In that way we will not need to lookup the letters to year as the number of years pass.

P.S. Humans have their own SARS-CoV viruses that give cold/flue like symptoms each year. So things should normalise in a decade of two.

All the Best
Last edited by agor95 on Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed
racer270
Aficionado
Aficionado

Re: Covid-19

Post by racer270 »

i think it's mostly BS ,
why suppress the truth.

https://www.facebook.com/patriotnews4u/ ... 4586869519
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Compliments of the season to you Gordy.

FWIW here in NZ we have Omicron at the boarders in increasing numbers but not in the community at large atm (soon I think). We've watched it spread rapidly elsewhere in the world including our near neighbours Australia where it has become dominant like many countries.

From what I've been reading etc it appears to be more benign than Delta and more transmissible (trend evidence coming in). Generally this is the trend with viruses because if they were more easily caught and also more aggressive causing far greater hospitalizations and deaths etc it would not be a good survival and replication strategy for the virus long term i.e. it would kill its host and die out.

The govt here has waged a campaign of fear to get everyone vaxed to mitigate overwhelming the hospital system and number of critical care beds available, and trained staff etc. This strategy has worked so far but the govt has no idea how to open up to the world again and put the fear genie back in the bottle. And get people back to 'normal' life.

Personally I've started calling Omicron the Chinese flu to desensitize the name Covid. The biggest problem the left govt faces here imo is how to let Omicron IN and spread and naturally inoculate the population. It seems obvious, let it past the boarders, take away restrictions and let people get sick and let the hospital system cope with a surge that may or may not happen.

The people in power won't want this because it means giving up control, and they'd actually have to address the real issues that were 'parked' over the last 2 years. Child poverty, crippling housing costs from world wide cheap credit, inflation to stagflation, surgery's put off (and deaths because of), etc etc, largely as a result of Keynesian over stimulating the economy with massive govt spending and handouts, but not increasing production or efficiency.

And then the emperor would be seen to have no clothes, or brains. So rather than plan for a controlled re-entry and natural inoculation they continue trotting out the nervous Nelly hand wringing message to buy more time for themselves, and avoid the hard questions to come. Like why didn't you let the benign variant IN and open up the economy behind it ?

Be happy and stay safe.
Last edited by Fletcher on Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarsier79
Addict
Addict

Post by Tarsier79 »

For a start, Australia is run by and filled with idiots. The Government have used fear and the media to brainwash the majority into persecution of the un-vaxinated. The people have freely given up their freedoms and privacy, letting the government make up the rules as they go. We may as well let 13 yr olds run parliment. In Western Australia, if you are not vaxxed, you are "locked down" and not allowed to leave your house except to shop for food or seek medical attention. Destroyed are the freedoms and ideals of free speech, free thought and making your own medical decisions.
I am not an anti-vaxer. I just believe strongly in peoples rights to make their own decisions and keep their privacy.

I am interested in what happens with South Africa. They have been through the shit, but with slow vaccination uptake, the virus basically taking its natural course, their natural immunity appears to be beginning to make some headway against it.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

You and I seem to have similar values .. and I'm not an anti-vaxer either and have a vax pass. I don't vilify anyone who isn't vaxed. When this all blows thru we will have to get on again.

When Delta came along we were thinking about CV19 being a pandemic of the unvaccinated. This country is over 90% double vaxed plus boosters starting to roll out. ICU's were mainly for the unvaxed. Then Omicron comes along, and looking at other countries both the unvaxed and the vaxed get it. Tho the numbers are skewed in the highly vaxed countries to vaxed people, but low hospitalization and deaths it seems. So now it's a pandemic of the vaxed - irony !

Sth Africa is the test case while the world watches on. Can a Covid pandemic become endemic Chinese Flu ? Or do you find a really benign variant and let it go, racing thru and extinguishing itself, and saving the countries health budget, and the trouble. That all seems a little too easy and not enough drama.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

Well after the first wave hit in 2020 the number of new cases went down to around 5 per day. After the 2021 wave it went down to around 1,300 per day.

Then after the first wave 2022 it's down to around 90,000 per day.

Its great the new cases per day are going down in the UK.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Covid-19 Normalise

Post by agor95 »

During the start of Covid in November 2019 we were kept informed on it's progress.

Here we are with 500 a week of excess deaths in the UK and the influenza wave is only reported every quarter instead of every week in the UK.

All that effort to reduce pressure on hospitals etc. All came to naught.

As the government is not reporting the influenza loading people are packing buses without masks or hand sanitizer and the government are paying for the one way price to be capped; to keep the price down.

That increases the rate of infection.

P.S. Excess deaths are monthly using 5 year average.
So the average will be going up each year as the pre-covid figures are not used.

Thus reducing the Excess death figures.

Regards
Last edited by agor95 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:08 am, edited 3 times in total.