White screen

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

Trev
Aficionado
Aficionado

Re: White screen

Post by Trev »

Fletcher wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:50 am Hi Scott - thanks for providing and maintaining this forum .. went to donate thru your donate button as it's been awhile - call me old fashioned but I never pay for anything on line .. anyways apparently I have to register and have a pay pal account to complete, which I don't want to do without a very good reason - I was paying by visa credit card and thought it would just go thru - is there another way or must I register etc ?
From Paypal's website:
To send money without a PayPal account just go to PayPal's front page and from there click the link Send Money> Send Money Online. From there it will be possible to send a payment to any email address.
You'll need Scott's email address associated with his Paypal account, if you dont have it just send me a PM, as I have it from when I sent a donation recently.
Last edited by Trev on Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUBAT
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by JUBAT »

THIS. I've made a couple of donations in the past - especially after the headaches of Lindgaard came up. I thought for Scott to have to contend with that bullwhack, it was worth it to throw him a few bucks to help support the forum. Everyone should pitch in a few bucks at least to help him make it worth his while.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Trev wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:30 pm
Fletcher wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:50 am Hi Scott - thanks for providing and maintaining this forum .. went to donate thru your donate button as it's been awhile - call me old fashioned but I never pay for anything on line .. anyways apparently I have to register and have a pay pal account to complete, which I don't want to do without a very good reason - I was paying by visa credit card and thought it would just go thru - is there another way or must I register etc ?
From Paypal's website:
To send money without a PayPal account just go to PayPal's front page and from there click the link Send Money> Send Money Online. From there it will be possible to send a payment to any email address.
You'll need Scott's email address associated with his Paypal account, if you dont have it just send me a PM, as I have it from when I sent a donation recently.
Thanks Trev .. will send you a PM as requested ..

If we all contribute a little it eases the financial burden on Scott ..
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Sorry Trev and Scott ..

The donate page re Paypal doesn't recognize New Zealand as my area (even tho its in the list) and I can't go any further ..

Same with the front page of Paypal and trying to send money to Scott's email ..
Trev
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Trev »

Maybe when Scott checks in next he can give you his bank details and you can send it by bank transfer.
JUBAT
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by JUBAT »

Does anyone ever have a problem with forums marked as having unread posts and when you go to there, nothing it marked red? I have it happen a lot where I'll have 2 to 4 sections marked as having unread posts and when I go there, nothing is highlighted.
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

Yes.
Scott did explain it.
Once you have read all the posts you want to, as well as all the ones you don't want to, because you didn't know that until you've read them, Before you go back to "board Index" you need to click on "mark all posts read".
Basically once you have read them, you need to manually do what was automatic.
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

It is "mark topics read" not all topics.
Be sure to do it before you go back to Board Index, or you may mark comments that you haven't read.
johannesbender
Addict
Addict

Post by johannesbender »

I noticed it does not really work for multiple devices, sometimes i am on the pc and sometimes (like now) i am on here on my mobile device , both devices would have different cookies and cookies cant be synced as far as i know , so it is what it is for me , atleast posting works again .

Though i cant help the feeling of needing to make all the red go away like popping bubble wrap.

The solution for me , dont mind it .
Last edited by johannesbender on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Its all relative.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

Hi jb

Yes it looks like the table that was disabled held the 'all posts read in forum subsection' by moniker [login id]
Where the fine grade 'has been read' in your current session is cookie based.

Clearly there is a burden in maintaining the table for large registered number of monikers that are not active.

So site maintenance limitations result in functionality loss.

P.S. We live with what is given.
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed
eccentrically1
Addict
Addict

Post by eccentrically1 »

eccentrically1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm After you read all the posts, go back to the home page and click 'mark forums read'. that fixes the problem.
the 'mark topics read' button doesn't work. You have to un-highlight the topics read by clicking the 'mark forums read' button on the home page.
So read all the posts, in each topic, under each forum. Then click on 'mark forums read'.
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

The "mark topics read" works fine for me.
After reading all the posts in "tech support" for example, there are no longer any red indicators of unread posts.
I then click on "mark topics read", i get a window notifying me that it has happened, i then click somewhere outside of the window to get rid of it (there is a cross top right that works too). When i then go to "Board Index" all the sections with unread posts are still indicated as unread posts, and only "tech support" no longer shows unread posts, because there aren't any.
If you have half a dozen posts to read, then hit "mark all forums read", any posts posted since you read the one in the first forum, would be unmarked without you reading it, because you were unaware of it's existence.