Impact is the Key

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

Grimer
Addict
Addict

re: Impact is the Key

Post by Grimer »

The PGM power cycle

Mmm...

Well, it looks like impact really is the key after all. Image
Attachments
PGM_05.jpg
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?
FunWithGravity2
Devotee
Devotee

Post by FunWithGravity2 »

I have a friend thats a diabetic and i cant get over how warm my isothermal socks are. I can't believe the answer was this easy.

can we see the other 359 degrees, or can you make one of those pretty perpetual illustrations/animations for me, i'm a little slow. congrats on bringing your thread back.

"i'm a little slow" :)
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

FunWithGravity2 wrote:I have a friend that's a diabetic and I can't get over how warm my isothermal socks are. I can't believe the answer was this easy.

Can we see the other 359 degrees, or can you make one of those pretty perpetual illustrations/animations for me? I'm a little slow. Congrats on bringing your thread back.

"I'm a little slow" :)
Ah yes. The other degrees.

Well, I concentrated on the 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock positions to keep the explanation simple. Obviously there will be as many spokes as possible and there will be a gradual change from horizontal to vertical orientation and vice versa.

The main point to recognise is that from 1.30 to 4.30 and from 7.30 to 10.30 the motion is mainly vertical and the rate at which the gravitational force is being applied is relatively high (quasi-impact loading - hence relatively adiabatic).

Conversely, in the remaining two sectors the rate is relatively low, hence relatively isothermal.

If you think about it the reason that deflection of a beam under impact is twice that of a beam loaded slowly is because under impact the energy does not have time to leak whereas with slow loading it does.

In descriptions of the Carnot Cycle the adiabatic leg is normally achieved by insulation preventing the leakage of heat. But speed can be substituted for insulation. This is why sound wave compression-rarefaction cycles are adiabatic. Everything happens so damn fast. Newton didn't appreciate this, assumed conditions were isothermal and came up with the wrong answer for the speed of sound.
Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

The template for the Perpetual Gravity Motor (PGM) was the Rubber Band Motor (RBM). One knew the RBM worked and so all that was required was a substitution of the action of gravity for the action of heat, a substitution of gravity energy for heat energy.

However, the mechanics of the RBM are very different from that of the PGM. More specifically the mechanics by which the rubber bands shorten with increase in temperature and lengthen with decrease in temperature is not only hidden within the band but also counter intuitive.

The question then arises: Is it possible to devise a mechanism which is closer to that of the PGM and which used temperature difference in the same way that the RBM uses temperature difference to power the wheel?

There is indeed such a mechanism which is very familiar to engineers in contrast to the atomic/molecular interaction of the RBM.

That mechanism is the bi-metallic strip invented by that pre-eminent inventor of his time John "Longitude" Harrison. Interesting that Bessler was also into clock making.

Harrison used a brass/iron metallic strip. "His earliest examples had two individual metal strips joined by rivets but he also invented the later technique of directly fusing molten brass onto a steel substrate." The thermal coefficient of expansion for brass is about twice that for iron so an initially straight strip will curve on heating in the manner shown below

Now one can use the same trick in constructing a bi-metallic strip motor as was used in the Perpetual Gravity Motor, i.e. having a strip which is has a built in curvature at ambient temperature. This mirrors the initial unstressed curvature of the beam-spokes in the Perpetual Gravity Motor. Consider a brass/iron bi-metallic beam having an initial curvature at ambient temperature as shown below.

If a suitably curved bi-metallic beam spokes are substituted for the rubber band spokes in the RBM then they will contract on being heated and expand on cooling as shown in the diagram below.

We now have two motors which depend on the same principle, the lengthening and shortening of beams. In the case of the Bi-Metallic Motor, the mode of action is perfectly clear and easier to understand than that of the Rubber Band Motor. Any competent engineer will recognise that it must work using an appropriate thermal differential between the two sides. More specifically with the left-hand-side above ambient temperature and the right-hand side below ambient temperature.

In the case of the Perpetual Gravity Motor the same engineer will have enormous psychological problems in recognising the existence of a difference in gravitational potential between the left and the right hand side.

This psychological difficulty will be dealt with in a later post.
Attachments
PGM_063.jpg
PGM_062.jpg
PGM_061.jpg
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Grimer .. shape memory metals may also be of interest to you - IIRC they are also thermally activated having one pre-cast shape at ambient & another after heating - that means they can act like springs & would have a morphing temperature that was specific & exact, so only small temperature fluctuations would be required - perhaps that could be induced by strain & heat in the way you bend a wire back & forth to break it & it gets warm in your hand.

N.B. I think the metals are alloys of Nickel & Titanium but I could well be wrong there [a long time since I read about them & the memory is fading - a quick google should give more info] - as a side note these temperature morphing metals are used in demolition work - instead of using explosives to bring down concrete buildings holes are drilled & short rods inserted - then an electric current is applied to take the temperature past the threshold, changing the rod width or bending it - this cracks the concrete by putting it under enormous pressure.
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

Hi guys,

call me naiive, but how do we make a temperature differential on each side of the wheel? Should this be a possibility.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

The usual way is to have a heat source & a radiator/cooler.
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

True Fletcher but no energy gain in that scenario. Hence of no benefit except maybe if sun is shining on half the wheel.

Was there a witness comment about a darker side of the wheel, the shadow side? Or am I just thinking of someone mentioning him removing weights from the non visible side of the wheel?
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Re: re: Impact is the Key

Post by Grimer »

Fletcher wrote:Grimer .. shape memory metals may also be of interest to you - IIRC they are also thermally activated having one pre-cast shape at ambient & another after heating - that means they can act like springs & would have a morphing temperature that was specific & exact, so only small temperature fluctuations would be required - perhaps that could be induced by strain & heat in the way you bend a wire back & forth to break it & it gets warm in your hand.

N.B. I think the metals are alloys of Nickel & Titanium but I could well be wrong there [a long time since I read about them & the memory is fading - a quick google should give more info] - as a side note these temperature morphing metals are used in demolition work - instead of using explosives to bring down concrete buildings holes are drilled & short rods inserted - then an electric current is applied to take the temperature past the threshold, changing the rod width or bending it - this cracks the concrete by putting it under enormous pressure.
Thanks. The material you are thinking of is Nitinol. There is a similar one which reacts to magnetic field called Terfenol-D. Both were developed by the Navel Ordnance Laboratory, hence the nol bit of their names.

I didn't know about its use for demolition work. Interesting.

@ DrWhat

The bimetallic strip heat engine is only intended as an analogy for the PGM. I'm well aware it isn't a source of free energy. The PGN would be because it uses a gravity differential rather than a heat differential. Where this gravity differential comes from will be the subject of my next post.
greendoor
Devotee
Devotee

Post by greendoor »

Thanks Grimer. I appreciate that you have used the thermal idea as an analogy.

I have speculated in the past whether Bessler was using ambiant heat, but I don't believe the facts fit this option. I believe Bessler made a PM of the 1st kind, not the 2nd or 3rd kind. But the 2nd kind is certainly do-able.

FWIW - the basic concept of air-cars is worth checking out. It would appear numerous inventors made self-powered cars that ran on ambiant heat energy. Apparantly Ford bought most of the patents to shut them up - or they were otherwise shut up permanently.

For the purpose of analogy - have a think about this:

Take an ordinary internal combustion engine with pistons & cylinders.
Replace the head with a piece of thick sheet steel so that electric solendoid valves can inject or release air into or from the space above the piston (previously the combustion chamber).
Take a highpressure tank of compressed air - say 2000 PSI.
Using some simple electronics, an optical flywheel sensor, and 12V battery, sequence the supply of compressed air to each cylinder - like the sparkplug firing sequence.

Sounds simple so far - but consider this:

We don't want to exhaust the air to atmosphere - the tank would quickly deplete. We need to save our air. So what we do is this (consider just a single cylinder engine):

After the high pressure air is injected at TDC - the piston is forced down, and the volume expands. The pressure drops - and suddently the temperature also drops. IC engines have cooling jackets & radiator systems to waste about 2/3 the heat of combustion (great for oil company profits). In this air-expansion mode, the cooling system works in reverse. The ambiant air is actually warmer than the freezing air in the cylinder, so external heat flows into the cylinder. This is free-energy, exactly the same energy that gives heat pumps their dramatic over-unity COP.

We now need to take that air and return it to the high pressure tank. This is going to require a compressor, and that compressor is going to require energy input. Just like a heatpump using electricity.

Most air-car inventors used compressors that were driven from the wheel of the car. The pump has to make up the difference between the high pressure tank, and this expanded-lower-pressure air.

The dumb way to do this is to start from scratch, and let the compressor rob a lot of power. The smart way is to use a special valve arrangement that first Equalises the two pressures. By carefully timed opening of valves, the low pressure zone is connected to the high-pressure zone, and the pressure equalises with no energy input whatsoever. The bulk tank pressure drops a little, and the contained zone of low-pressure jumps up to the same as the tank pressure.

Now - the compressor has it easy. With the same pressure on both side of the piston/rotor/whatever - all the power goes into pushing that air back into the tank and raising the tank pressure back up to it's orginal pressure. In fact - you will need a pressure releif valve to stop it accumulating to dangerous levels.

The source of overunity energy is the ambiant heat energy which is flowing into the cold engine cylinders via the old cooling system - which is now functioning as a heat exchanger 'warming' system.

In practice, these air-cars didn't really work that well until they got up to speed and inertia kicked in. Efficiencies of pumps tend to optimise at certain rev ranges. The use of regenerative braking helped a lot. The air could be expanded 2 or 3 times before pumping back up again.

In practice, air-cars, and air-locomotives and air-buses etc went for extremely long distances on an initial tank of compressed air.

Just like heat-pumps - they were very efficient, and we have been robbed of this excellent technology. I suspect the 1st World War may have been used as a diversion to destabilise the world and retain power for the elite, and removal of this technology from the people and their textbooks was probably a high priority.

Fascinating stuff - and useful as an analogy for thinking about Gravity wheel issues. I can see huge parallels.
Anything not related to elephants is irrelephant.
Irish Oracle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Irish Oracle »

It really is as simple as that. And I can now see why.

But before going into into a more detailed explanation than before I would like to ask, is there any record of anyone who has built a Bessler wheel with weights impacting on one side and just being carried up without impact on the other? Does anyone have a reference or link to such an attempt?

If there is, I can't understand why they failed.

(I do seem to remember someone saying something about a machine with billiard balls which did achieve some rotation but then failed for other reasons.)

NO NO NO there is no impact whatsoever. this waists energy.
Gone fishing
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Re: re: Impact is the Key

Post by Grimer »

Grimer wrote:The template for the Perpetual Gravity Motor (PGM) was the Rubber Band Motor (RBM). One knew the RBM worked and so all that was required was a substitution of the action of gravity for the action of heat, a substitution of gravity energy for heat energy.

However, the mechanics of the RBM are very different from that of the PGM. More specifically the mechanics by which the rubber bands shorten with increase in temperature and lengthen with decrease in temperature is not only hidden within the band but also counter intuitive.

The question then arises: Is it possible to devise a mechanism which is closer to that of the PGM and which used temperature difference in the same way that the RBM uses temperature difference to power the wheel?

There is indeed such a mechanism which is very familiar to engineers in contrast to the atomic/molecular interaction of the RBM.

That mechanism is the bi-metallic strip invented by that pre-eminent inventor of his time John "Longitude" Harrison. Interesting that Bessler was also into clock making.

Harrison used a brass/iron metallic strip. "His earliest examples had two individual metal strips joined by rivets but he also invented the later technique of directly fusing molten brass onto a steel substrate." The thermal coefficient of expansion for brass is about twice that for iron so an initially straight strip will curve on heating in the manner shown below

Now one can use the same trick in constructing a bi-metallic strip motor as was used in the Perpetual Gravity Motor, i.e. having a strip which is has a built in curvature at ambient temperature. This mirrors the initial unstressed curvature of the beam-spokes in the Perpetual Gravity Motor. Consider a brass/iron bi-metallic beam having an initial curvature at ambient temperature as shown below.

If a suitably curved bi-metallic beam spokes are substituted for the rubber band spokes in the RBM then they will contract on being heated and expand on cooling as shown in the diagram below.

We now have two motors which depend on the same principle, the lengthening and shortening of beams. In the case of the Bi-Metallic Motor, the mode of action is perfectly clear and easier to understand than that of the Rubber Band Motor. Any competent engineer will recognise that it must work using an appropriate thermal differential between the two sides. More specifically with the left-hand-side above ambient temperature and the right-hand side below ambient temperature.

In the case of the Perpetual Gravity Motor the same engineer will have enormous psychological problems in recognising the existence of a difference in gravitational potential between the left and the right hand side.

This psychological difficulty will be dealt with in a later post.
This is that later post.

On the face of it the gravitational potentials are the same for the two horizontal spokes. After all they are at the same height from the ground.

This is true from our point of view - but our point of view is an anthropomorphic point of view. It is not how the beam spoke sees it. From the beam spoke point of view the gravitational potential has changed from positive to negative. To empathize with the beams view on has to put oneself on the beam.

and turn upside down with it. One would then quickly realise there was a gravitational potential difference between the left and right hand sides of the wheel. It is this potential difference that gives rise to the displacement of the axle.

Perhaps Escher had prophetic insight when he drew this:

But it can be argued that the Rubber Band Motor does not suffer any deflection of the spokes whereas the Perpetual Gravity Motor does - And this deflection can lead to "keeling" as has been pointed out.

So the question arises,

Can the movement of the axle more than compensate for any keeling effect.

Only careful calculation or better still, experiment can answer that question. However, to reduce keeling to a minimum and increase axle shift to the maximum one could employ hydraulic spokes as illustrated in the following diagrammatic representation of principle where the keeling is very much reduced over the beam example and the spoke length change is very much increased..

Attachments
Man.jpg
Escher waterfall.jpg
Hydraulic spokes.jpg
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

AB Hammer wrote:Grimer

When a gravity wheel is realized and creating energy. How would you describe gravity then? And how is it producing energy? Or is it more of a conversion force to energy?
A good question.

If you view gravity as a vertical wind blowing steadily downwards then one needs to devise a some kind of windmill.

How to do this?

Well, I believe Vorticis Verticalis is the best clue and I think that is precisely what Bessler managed to build, i.e. a horizontal axis windmill. It is perhaps not without significance that Bessler fell to his death from a windmill. Was it a conventional mill or a Vorticis Horizontalis? I'm not sure that we know.

Of course the arm going down wind is easy. It's the arm of the mill going up wind into the face of the wind that is the problem. Effectively, one has to find a way of generating negative mass.

Now if mass were substance then this would be virtually inconceivable - but if mass is a property of substance as I have shown in Iterative Hierarchical Mechanics, more particularly, if mass is motion then the problem becomes more tractable.

Also, just as the atmospheric wind we are all familiar with is merely the difference in air pressure between one side of a body and another so also the gravitational wind can be seen as the difference in gravitational pressure between one side of the infinitesimally small structures on which the gravitational pressure acts, and the other.

Thus one can view gravity as an inverse atmosphere in which objects normally rise to the top (fall relative to the earth) and the object is to get them to fall to the bottom (rise relative to the earth). So you can see my abortive attempt to develop an Atmospheric Gravity Motor was not entirely wasted. Image
John Collins
Addict
Addict

Post by John Collins »

Was it a conventional mill or a Vorticis Horizontalis?
It was Europe's first horizontal windmill which probably confirms your theory for you, Frank.

According to wikipedia the first practical windmills were the vertical axle windmills invented in eastern Persia in the 9th century.
Read my blog at http://johncollinsnews.blogspot.com/

This is the link to Amy’s TikTok page - over 20 million views for one video! Look up amyepohl on google

See my blog at http://www.gravitywheel.com
Grimer
Addict
Addict

Post by Grimer »

John Collins wrote:
Grimer wrote:
Was it a conventional mill or a Vorticis Horizontalis?

It was Europe's first horizontal windmill which probably confirms your theory for you, Frank.

According to wikipedia the first practical windmills were the vertical axle windmills invented in eastern Persia in the 9th century.
Thanks for the expert advice, John. I thought I'd read it somewhere or other.