over 60 attempts today.....! and still counting....! :-(
Attachments
Mail0003.JPG
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

re: who is my hacker.....?

Post by jim_mich »

Last friday I had 652 "attacks" that my firewall blocked. This is about normal when I'm on line all day. The companies that sell software like to scare the hell out of you by calling all of these "attacks". Most are not hacker attempts. Many are just one computer 'pinging' an address to see if there is a computer there that will answer back.

Just get yourself a good well behaved firewall program that shields your computer from these 'attacks'. The pings etc. will still come in through your internet connection but the firewall should filter out the junk from important stuff. Your software should also trap any viruses in emails or webpages.

I use Trend Micro's PC-cillin. I find it is very well behaved. It doesn't slow my computer down. It checks for updates according to a schedule that I set. It alway prompts me when it starts to download the update so I can tell it to wait if I'm in the middle of something involving the internet. When I'm don with what I'm doing I can then tell it to update. I'm on a slow dialup connection and PC-cillin makes my internet browsing run faster because it blocks the junk communications. The price is very reasonable.

I also use AdAware to clean up cookie crumbs.

One note... since I'm on a dialup my IP address is dynamic and changes each time I dial in. If the previous user of that IP address did something or browsed a certain page and then later I'm using the same IP address, what they did might cause hacking attempts to my computer when I'm connected.

What I'm saying is don't sweat it. It is just part of being interconnected.

rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

I on the other hand have subscribed to an annual renewable Norton by Symatic. It provides daily update and Virus blockers. It also takes care of pop-up" and a good portion of spam mail.

I dumped Microsoft adaware programs as I was always getting pop-ups about in not allowing or updating. Sometimes I would get up to five adaware pop-ups in as many minutes. It drove me to the state of mind you now find me.

I highly recommend Norton, I find it is the only program I need. Another one that I dumped was yahoo tool bar. It also opened a lot of doors I prefer keeping shut.

Ralph
hopeful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hopeful »

Addresses starting with 192.168 are inside your house, like a cable/DSL modem or router, printers, or other computers.

My logs showed one address in common, 221.208.208.8, and it gets blocked 20-40 times per day. What I found even more interesting was that the majority of connect attempts originate in Australia. I wonder how long this has been happening. Historically most of the "chatter" originated in the U.S.

Pity the fool that thinks brilliant, Besslerian blueprints are stored on my computer.

To the reader:

If you're using WindowsXP, make sure that Automatic Updates are enabled and that the built-in firewall is running. If you're using a previous version of Windows, buy a security suite or download the free firewall at zonealarm.com. It's very good and receives regular updates.

A major anti-virus software vendor is now distributing updates on a WEEKLY basis. You may not be as protected as you'd think when opening email attachments from strangers, so be careful out there.

Chris
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

I use AntiVir - it's free, does a fine job, and you can update it anytime you like http://www.free-av.com

... and always use a firewall.
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

As hopeful suggests:
If you're using WindowsXP, make sure that Automatic Updates are enabled and that the built-in firewall is running.
I've been using the Automatic Updates with WindowsXP now for about a month or two. It works well and does not interfer with my surfing. It's set up so that when a user signs off, he is given the option of accepting the Update at that time. The computer then stays online and connected until the Update is downloaded and then the PC shuts itself off. That very convenient and I always know that I am getting the latest patches, etc.

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
racer270
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by racer270 »

thanks guys,
i use zone alarm, there is only one computer in my house.
i have only been under attack for a few weeks, my fire wall has never had this much acttivity in the past.........never. but in the last few days the fire wall has loged now 39,282 of those ,( 1,363 are " high risk "). and it is loging about 5 hits a min.

attempts that were "not just pings" but were "high risk" hacks trying to use my computer to access files.....ect.

ps. i know about the scare tactics that zone alarm uses........!
i just put this computer together about last april , it is a "xp servispack 2 machine.......
pstroud
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by pstroud »

I know this is not a computer IT problem forum and this is totally unrelated to the subject at hand but.....

I use Nortan Internet Security / firewall / antivirus / etc.... (my computer stays on-line 24x7) I have had no virus attacks / worms / etc/ for many years now. However, every 3 months, a Norton update causes my Outlook Express email to stop working or a loss of my internet connection. Each time, I have to spend 1 to 3 hours trying to figure out what the problem is, only to discover the latest Nortan update as the source. I'm in the middle of another email failure, linked to my Norton firewall update. (turn off the Norton firewall and email works again). This happens every 3 months and it is very frustraiting.

Nortan is great at protecting your computer but a real pain in the A....... every 3 months.....

Preston