'Lost' manuscript valued at £1m

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Stewart
Devotee
Devotee

'Lost' manuscript valued at £1m

Post by Stewart »

Wish I could find something like this in my cupboards!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 696484.stm

It does make you wonder what might be lurking in a cupboard somewhere in Germany! ;-)

Stewart
fAtnhapy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

re: 'Lost' manuscript valued at £1m

Post by fAtnhapy »

I followed your link and noticed that Hooke invented something called the velocipede. Not knowing what a velocipede was I googled it up. Turns out they are available on Ebay and you can get books about them from Amazon!
:0)
fAt
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

Wow...minutes of the Royal Society penned in Robert Hooke's own hand! No wonder it's going to fetch a cool million pounds! He's the guy who claimed Newton stole his ideas about gravitation!

Now if we could only find something like that about the Bessler wheel. Maybe someone back in the late 1740's was the recipient of the pieces of that small smashed wheel found in Bessler home after he died. Maybe that person realized how valuable the invention was and patiently drew diagrams of the various pieces with the hope that some future scientists could be able to unscramble the wreckage and rediscover the secret mechanism!

I suspect that something like that may exist and, eventually, we'll find it. Hope it's in my lifetime...

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by AgingYoung »

Robert Hooke said that everything that Newton said that was correct was his (Robert's idea) and everything that was wrong was Newton's idea. Hooke was a crook.

Gene
Working Model 2DImage
[It is] the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings [is] to search out a matter.