Question for Scott

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

trevie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question for Scott

Post by trevie »

Scott, would it be possible to see privately who click on your Appreciation icon to see you likes you and who doesn't, I often wonder whos clicking what? Trevie
terry5732
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

re: Question for Scott

Post by terry5732 »

It's fine to wonder
But a lot of modern problems is people adjusting there public views to appease everyone
It's OK to be unpopular as long as you are right
Right now in the US, politicians are jumping all over a control of ownership of some ports by a UAE company. They are simply Arab bashing for poll popularity. This is a successful company taking over an operation that Brits did poorly at. Nevermind that. No popularity in bashing Brits.
If they weren't so concerned about ratings they would get the best results rather than the most popular. The two don't equate.
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

trevie...

The problem with knowing who's clicking what on one's rep bar is that the knowledge of this could then be used to make up a list of "friends" and one of "enemies"! Also, if a member knew in advance that his "vote" would be known to the recipient, then that might alter the vote given.

I find that the best approach to the rep bar is to ignore it and get on with one's research. If you are truly making progress in your quest, then a low rep won't be that important to you. And, if you are not truly making progress in your quest, then a high rep will, ultimately, have little value to you. My ultimate satisfaction will come from making some solid, undeniable progress with regard to understanding how Bessler's wheel's worked, not from how many green dots I managed to accumulate either here or at any other forum.

ken
Last edited by ken_behrendt on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

No, sorry Trevie. I don't want people going on a witch hunt against someone who rated them negatively. Anonymity is key for the system to work properly and fairly.
Thanks,
Scott
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
trevie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by trevie »

oh, ok. Are you able to see whos clicked on who or are you unable to see this information like the rest of us.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

The reputation data along with all the other data comprising the website and forum is in a sql database here on my home computer. As the owner of the computer and as the forum administrator all information there is of course available to me.

Now before anyone flies off the handle about that (Hi James!), please note that it in addition to being natural and necessary, it also serves a useful purpose. E.g. I was able to bust Robert when he used a fake alias account to give himself an extra positive reputation vote.

-Scott
Last edited by scott on Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for visiting BesslerWheel.com

"Liberty is the Mother, not the Daughter of Order."
- Pierre Proudhon, 1881

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
- Michel de Montaigne, 1559

"So easy it seemed, once found, which yet unfound most would have thought impossible!"
- John Milton, 1667
winkle
Devotee
Devotee

Post by winkle »

does it really matter

could be when folks are having a slow day just can't get any ideas spinning in their head about the old spinning wheel

no one else is telling anything they can use

just might be i'm board wheres them dam buttons

there has not been one good idea posted on this board yet

if there was it would have worked

anything that don't work is not a good idea

looks to me like anyone without a working idea has a lot of balls to punch anybody elses buttons green or red

i might be wrong

probbly not
the uneducated

if your gona be dumb you gota be tough

Who need drugs when you can have fatigue toxins and caffeine
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

winkle wrote:
looks to me like anyone without a working idea has a lot of balls to punch anybody elses buttons green or red
There might be some profound truth to your observation. Actually, I think each of us has to be our own most critical judge. I know when I'm making some progress and can feel some pride and I know when I'm not or just plain goofing off and need to get more rigorous about my research. But, when it comes to the resolution of this Bessler mystery, I think it will also require more than one just keeping his nose to the grindstone. It'll also require some good old fashion luck...

ken

P.S. Maybe I should search my garden this spring for some four leaf clovers!
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Winkle,

Pushing buttons has nothing to do with whether you have a working wheel or not. And it has nothing to do with a bad idea. There is no such thing as a bad idea unless you deliberately post it as such. A bad idea should be conceived as something one may augment or add to in order to make it a good idea.

The rep buttons should be used only to show respect for another member. Members must earn respect by their attitude and participation not on their designs.

Offering no constructive input and posting gripes about pushing buttons is what causes red buttons to be pushed.

An example Is how I feel about Ken, He has been here for over a year, and posted more non working designs than any one. I am constantly in debate with him. Do I push his red button, no I do not. I would push his green more than once if it were allowed. His failures has nothing to do with the respect he has earned.

The idea is to come forward with designs and then discuss them in an orderly manner. Call it rebuking, debating or refuting, it is all the same, it feeds the forum with objective material to conceive farther ideas.

Would I hit your green after your above post? no I will not, will you hit my red for my response, Your choice. If you do and it drops me a notch, will I loose any sleep over it, no I will not, but I will consider the possible source.

Ralph
winkle
Devotee
Devotee

Post by winkle »

Ralph

how many bad ideas have been augmented or added to and become good ideas to date

looks to me like the total is zero

well respect and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee at 7/11
dang i remember when coffee was a nickle
and gas eighteen cents

sounds like not conforming is what red buttons are about

personally i like yellow buttons red or green are to much like christmas

i don't come here to mess with childrens buttons i have better things on my mind

i think buttons get about as much discussion around here as wheels get

is this a race for green buttons or wheels
the uneducated

rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Hey! if you are dissatisfied with this forum and it operation, may I suggest you quityourbitchen and check out. It's obvious that nobody is going to hand you a design for a working wheel.
think buttons get about as much discussion around here as wheels get
Your the one doing and or promoting all the button bitchen. Post a design or an idea for a PM or gravity machine or take your buck and head for 7-11
Not conforming is is not the reason for a red button, in my books not conforming is a sign of individualism and earns respect as being an independent thinker.

No need to reply to this as I am out of here. I had respect for you and stood behind your self aclaimed education in the school of hard knocks but no longer.

Ralph
winkle
Devotee
Devotee

Post by winkle »

easy Ralph don't get you're bowels in an uproar

i don't need anyone to hand me a working design
i am as close to a working design as i need to be

i would post that design but just got back from spending my buck at 7/11

i don't know where this came from (education in the school of hard knocks) but it didn't come from me
what education i have came easy to me
i enjoyed every bit of it

i've given you no cause to have respect for me
also this
Jas:2:9: But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

button bitcher

never mind
the uneducated

AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by AgingYoung »

winkle
Excellent observation but a little general. What I've observed is that it's not conforming to what specific people want to see.

Buttons serve two purposes on this forum. They stroke the egos (grn btns) of those that have that need and they attempt to control (red btns). I've seen examples of both those cases. Other than that I see no use for 'reputation'. Also it's not a democratic representation of opinion.

I find it acceptable if someone has an opinion of someone and they state it in the open forum in an attempt to make reputation serve some useful function. When that opinion is couched in something like, 'you're pissing me off and I'm tempted to push your red button' it sounds a little manipulative and bitchy. When someone goes thru the trouble of using what should be confidential data and takes the matter off the forum and wages a private email campaign that's over the edge.

The idea of 'if you don't like it quit your bitchin' and leave' ....that's too funny.

Gene
Working Model 2DImage
[It is] the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings [is] to search out a matter.
AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Re: re: Question for Scott

Post by AgingYoung »

terry5732 wrote:
Right now in the US, politicians are jumping all over a control of ownership of some ports by a UAE company. They are simply Arab bashing for poll popularity. This is a successful company taking over an operation that Brits did poorly at.

I see a security risk of having an arabic/muslim country having access to the flow of products into America. There's just something not too right with that idea. Recently they've exposed tunnels coming under the borders from Canada and Mexico so I guess if someone wants something in the country there are other ways. Also customs doesn't inspect everything that comes into the country so I guess anything could manage to come in (but the idea of letting United Arab E manage that flow isn't that big of a deal?) It's not too wise if you ask me. Muzzled coyotes managing the chicken coop.

Gene
Working Model 2DImage
[It is] the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings [is] to search out a matter.
winkle
Devotee
Devotee

Post by winkle »

buttons
a lot of commotion about nothing
the uneducated