New Australian "AIR Engine!"

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

SeaWasp
Aficionado
Aficionado

New Australian "AIR Engine!"

Post by SeaWasp »

While watching the local current affairs show, I saw a very interesting new concept in engine design!

I searched the web and found their homepage. I can forsee some very interesting developments with this technology!

http://www.engineair.com.au/

I can immediately see this technology being implemented within a breaking system in a vehicle. Under breaking, a compressor charges a high pressure tank, and then the engine delivers it's power from a standing start acceleration. (This is where most of the fuel is consumed).. Just a thought, but there are potentialy many more uses for this engine.

Check it out!

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

re: New Australian "AIR Engine!"

Post by ken_behrendt »

SeaWasp...

Regenerative energy systems in automobiles are nothing new. They've been around, at least, since the late '60's.

Yes, they can help recover some of the energy lost during braking and then use it to offset the fuel consumption upon acceleration. It's certainly a step in the right direction in improving one's gas mileage. However, there's the extra cost of manufacturing the vehicle and the owner's cost in maintaining it later to be considered. However, I think I'd prefer some sort of system using compressed air to one using expensive batteries.

Now let's see if anything comes of this approach...

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
AgingYoung
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by AgingYoung »

Jake brakes (J-brakes) in diesel trucks turn between one to three of the cylinders into compressors; that load causes the truck to break. I don't know how old the idea is but it is noisy. Sometimes trucker's use their jake brakes to suddenly get a cars attention.

I found this on the web:
The Jacobs Engine Brake has been on the market since 1961. Its inventor, Clessie L. Cummins invented it some thirty years earlier.
Gene
Working Model 2DImage
[It is] the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings [is] to search out a matter.
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Back in my pee-wee days, all cars and trucks had vacuum operated windshield wiper motors. They operated off the intake manifold and were useless unless you were accelerating or cruising. Take you foot off the gas pedal and the wipers stopped.

So along came a electric driven vacuum pump to assist the wiper motor. I tore one apart at the age of 10 to see what made it tick! it looked just like the depicted design shown above.

What goes around, comes around.

Ralph
SeaWasp
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by SeaWasp »

The difference with this motor though, is that it produces enough torque to drive a vehicle! Apparantly the company is now marketing it for forklift of warehouse buggies etc. It takes 15 minutes to recharge the air tank and it runs for 2 hours! Now that's pretty impressive!
The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

If it can power a forklift for two hours after only 15 minutes of recharging the air tanks, then that is, indeed, impressive. The only problem I can see with it is that the tank that hold the air must be at a very high pressure. If that tank should rupture, either from a accident or material weakening with age, then the system could pose a hazard to a vehicle operator. Of course, using a bank of smaller tanks would lessen this possibility.

If the system can be improved, then it might even be usable in some sort of ultra-light automobile. Then all we would need would be all the electricity that it needed to pressurize a vehicle's air supply tanks at an "air station" or at the owner's home.

It sounds like something that should be tried.

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
trevie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by trevie »

Hybrid engines are probably the best way to go, using electric motors in each of the wheels along with a petrol engine to drive the car forward, Using the electric motor for braking and storing the energy into batteries and capacitors. Using the electric motors for stop and start around busy cities and for hard acceleration combination to reduce pollution.

I wonder how far it can travel on a full tank of air.

Maybe we can attach besslers wheel to a compressor to keep the air tank charged.
gearhead
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by gearhead »