Illusion

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

graham
Devotee
Devotee

Illusion

Post by graham »

Check this out guys, it's quite weird !!

http://www.patmedia.net/marklevinson/co ... usion.html

Graham
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

re: Illusion

Post by ken_behrendt »

Graham...

That's an interesting optical illusion. I've seen other ones similar to it. They are all based on the principle of seeing an after image that has the "reverse" color of something. Apparently, staring at a single color for a while actually exhausts the color receptor cells for that color in the retina. Then, when one looks away, that color, temporarily, can not be perceived as well as the others in the after image that the brain perceives. It's really weird and I've noticed whenever I view a web page which the author decided to give a colored background to.

I remember one such optical illusion where you stared at an American flag that had the colors of the stars, their background field, and the stripes reversed. After staring at it for 30 seconds, then, if you closed your eyes, you would "see" the after image of the flag with all of its colors correct. That is, the flag would have while stars on a field of blue and red and white stripes.

ken
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
digitaljez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by digitaljez »

I can understand the theory behind this, and many illusions. Nearly always they highlight the limitations of the human eye. But what is going on here - http://www.eyetricks.com/jesus.htm ?
I don't know if everyone sees the same quality of after image as everyone else. It may even depend what mood you are in. Having just looked at it again after many months, I don't think it is quite the same as I experienced it before.
Is the information supplied by the imagination or some primal face recognition function of the brain ? (Or does it have a divine origin ? ;))
Joel Wright
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Joel Wright »

Digital ,the most interesting thing about that image is that it ascends as it fades.Or does it for everyone?
Work with gravity and gravity will work for you.There are more than two sides to a wheel.
Joel Wright
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Joel Wright »

Out of nagging curiosity I created a ink blot simular to the Jesus blot.The effect is nowhere near the original.The mystery thickens.
Attachments
BLOB.JPG
Work with gravity and gravity will work for you.There are more than two sides to a wheel.
ken_behrendt
Addict
Addict

Post by ken_behrendt »

I stared at the Jesus illusion for the required 30 to 60 seconds and this is what I saw as an after image...

ken
Attachments
This is what the after image should look like.
This is what the after image should look like.
On 7/6/06, I found, in any overbalanced gravity wheel with rotation rate, ω, axle to CG distance d, and CG dip angle φ, the average vertical velocity of its drive weights is downward and given by:

Vaver = -2(√2)πdωcosφ
digitaljez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: re: Illusion

Post by digitaljez »

Joel Wright wrote:Digital ,the most interesting thing about that image is that it ascends as it fades.Or does it for everyone?
I wish it did >). But I cannot say it does for me
Joel Wright wrote:Out of nagging curiosity I created a ink blot simular to the Jesus blot.The effect is nowhere near the original.The mystery thickens.
Interesting experiment - I wish I had thought of that.
ken_behrendt wrote:I stared at the Jesus illusion for the required 30 to 60 seconds and this is what I saw as an after image...
That is what I would expect and eventually see. But I find that as the image 'clarifies' in my mind my brain somehow creates a level of detail that is just not there. It even appears coloured sometimes. Also the whole thing appears as a perfect circle, not the raggedy shape it actually is.

For me it always appears smaller than the image I actually looked at and about six inches in front of my face. It also does not appear immediately and I have to wait for it to fade in. After it has faded out I find that if I just relax and wait it will return.

When I first saw it the suggestion was that you should tilt your head back after closing your eyes.