Republican Debate

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

rmd3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rmd3 »

Bill, I agree, and from where did the instruction come to pursue knowledge (scientific and otherwise)?

The Prophet Muhammad said...

"Seek knowledge even if it takes you to China."
"Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave."
"To spend more time in learning is better than spending more time praying; the support of religion is abstinence. It is better to teach knowledge one hour in the night than to pray all night."

The last comes from this webpage (the other two are there too in a slightly different English rendition)

http://www.themodernreligion.com/prophe ... m#Learning

I found these two sayings very telling in our present day...

"Do you know what sappeth the foundation of Islam, and ruineth it? The errors of the learned destroy it, the disputations of the hypocrite, and the orders of kings who have lost the road."

"Verily God doth not taketh away knowledge from the hands of His servants; but taketh it by taking away the learned; so that when no learned men remain, the ignorant will be placed at the head of affairs. Causes will be submitted to their decision, they will pass sentence without knowledge, will err themselves, and lead others into error."

You know, the first word revealed to the Prophet Muhammad was "Read/Recite" I think that speaks volumes about the foundation of the civilization to follow.
digitaljez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

re: Republican Debate

Post by digitaljez »

Thanks for not scoring me any higher evg, I'm not ready to exist only in the minds of the superstitious yet.

As ovyyus said. The study of reality. The here and now.

As I understand it, while the followers of Mohamed were spreading his 'religion of peace' to Persia et al, back home it was all pretty stable. This made it the closest safe haven for scholars fleeing the turmoil in Europe. This led to a period of scientific exploration, the first hospitals and great advances in mathematics. Not to mention the preservation of roman and greek technology and philosophy from the christian book burning club.

As soon as the peaceful warriors of Allah returned home and turned their attention to their own people's private lives, the scientists moved on or were killed (peacefully, no doubt), and a thousand years of stagnation set in. Between bowing to Mecca, beheading apostates, stoning little girls to death for not covering their hair and toppling walls onto homosexual lovers, there just was not enough time to get anything constructive done.

If Allah's first revelation was 'read' was it not a bit remiss of Mohamed to remain illiterate his whole life ?
rmd3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rmd3 »

iqra' = the imperative to read or to recite. The Qur'an (The Recitation) comes from the same root word. When the Prophet received the revelation he answered back to the Angel Gabriel "I can not read" until it was understood that he should recite the revelation.

Now that there is all this time between beheading apostates, and all the other stuff, you'd think they'd be right back on top again, right? hmmmm... What's missing? ...don't tell me an Islamic theocracy? By your own assertions, it's the missing piece. digitaljez, I just didn't know you felt that way.

In spite of the direct evidence quoted regarding what the Prophet said, you believe what you like.

By scholars of Europe, you don't mean the Crusaders, do you? Oh, so you are saying the Europeans could come to the world under the rule of the Islamic theocracy and escape turmoil for a life of peace and scholarship. I agree.