Why are there so few donations?

You may select 1 option

View results

evgwheel
Aficionado
Aficionado

To donate or Not to donate?

Post by evgwheel »

I was going to post this as a poll, but had difficulties doing so. A helping hand would be much appreciated, but only if you think it is worth it.

Unlike perpetual motion, a website like this takes input from an external source.
External source (Scott) supplies Money, Maintenance/Equipment, and Time so we can enjoy our hobbies and passions. The following questions are here to establish, why there are so few donations?

No ability to pay by Paypall.
Need easy none Paypall option to donate.
Thought about donation?
Will donate soon.
Will not donate.
Can not afford a donation.
My $5 worth won’t make any difference.
Rather have advertising on site.
Hate adverting on site.
I did donate
.......Poll up and running. Scroll up.. Please participate...
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Evg,

NO ability to donate by paypal is a lame duck excuse, before computers we used the the postal service, thence the old saying the check is in the mail"... Call it "snail-mail" if you wish but it gets the job done.

Ralph
evgwheel
Aficionado
Aficionado

re: To donate or Not to donate?

Post by evgwheel »

Ralph
We will send a personal (Australian) cheque to
Address: Besslerwheel.com
Somewhere in North America
Or maybe a Money order
Donation $10
Cost $20
Yes there are other ways around it, but what are they? They have to be cost affective and easy. And I believe that is where this post is all about.
....Scroll to top for Poll..........
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Hey All, I realized in this poll there is an opportunity for me to gauge something I've been wondering. Would you be willing to pay $1 a month for access to Community Buzz and the Albums feature?

I took the liberty of adding the option to Evg's poll. Sorry Evg, hope you don't mind.

If you already voted, please vote again and consider the new option.

Thanks,
Scott
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

Scott,

Appears that once you vote you are blocked! I cannot re vote!

For what it is worth, I have donated $25.00 Every other year, I try to get it there over the Christmas Holidays but was rather late this year.

I do not believe a dollar a month paid every 24 months is out of line!

Evg, I owe you an apology my snail mail comment did not consider members of other countries with different currency. You make a good point and I now see your predicament. It cost more than the exchange rate to transfer pound Sterling to US dollar. I learned this the hard way when I hosted foreign exchange students.

Ralph
Last edited by rlortie on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
evgwheel
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by evgwheel »

Scott
Don’t mind at all.
It is easy to transfer money within most counties. All my bills and eBay purchases are paid by money transfer (On-line) at a nominal or no fee at all.
Most people would not think twice of donating some money sometimes when they have a good week.
Unless you can come up with a good solution, for non-Americans to donate, I am afraid you may have to rely on your own countrymen and they don’t seem to generous.

Edit to reply to Ralph's edit; I hope that no one ever thinks that I would personally attack an other member, if it looks that way it is only to get a responce.
....Scroll to top for Poll..........
evgwheel
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by evgwheel »

Scott, you must be rolling in money. 37% donate to Besslerwheel.com
or am I missing something? lol
...scroll up to vote.....
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

WE should get paid each time we post. Without posts there would be no Besslerwheel web site :-)

It is like running a company and asking your employees to pay you, the boss!

If I get $1 per post, I think that's fair! lol

(ps where's my $1 for this post?!)

All fun aside I still think advertising is the best idea. Scott I've posted before saying that once I (!) discover the wheel, you will be getting millions of hits on this site, and this will get you enormous advertising revenue. A clever move I believe.
bluesgtr44
Devotee
Devotee

Post by bluesgtr44 »

I'd rather it not be a fee....I should have donated earlier, it's the least I could do for Scott putting up with my crap! Just sent a small pay pal donation and again....should have done it long ago. Thanks Scott!

Steve
Finding the right solution...is usually a function of asking the right questions. -A. Einstein
LustInBlack
Devotee
Devotee

Post by LustInBlack »

I'm willing to donate whenever I believe it is worth doing so, however, if this site comes with a monthly payment, I'm gone ..
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

I have donated before & I also ticked willing to pay $1 per month [entertainment & education value alone] but an interesting thing just transpired.

I emailed an overunity.com member who is a retired German mechanical engineer living in Sydney - he studied Bessler's books & also is fluent in Latin, so I asked him to comment on Stewart's Latin translation on the springs & pins quote in DT [General Discussion : The Solution To Bessler's Wheel - Stewart] - he is taking a look now & hopefully will give his more full opinion [than he gave me privately] after looking at just the few Latin words out of context I sent him - the upshot is I invited him to go to Besslerwheel.com & read the entire posts for himself as he requested the context & DT page numbers.

It raised an interesting point though - I'm not sure someone new would pay to look at threads [say in Community Buzz & Albums] if they had no previous gauge of the relative 'worth' of this site - I would suggest it would put new members off & limit the gene pool so to speak - therefore I think advertising [although a pain at times] might be the better way to go or continue to relay on sporadic donations ? - The other alternative is to make membership free for a period of time & then ask for a small annual fee to retain annual membership - trouble is, many would decline & re-register under another handle to avoid paying anything at all, even if they were getting good service & value from the site - no easy answer !
rlortie
Addict
Addict

Post by rlortie »

LIB,
whenever I believe it is worth doing so
I hope you find it worth doing so!

I believe that having your own forum, access to Community Buzz and albums then it is worth a U.S. $25.00 donation every other year. I would also include the search engine and Wiki in this restriction. While I am at it I might as well add that your must register under your surname, but you could still use a pseudonym to post.

You get rid of the fishers, lurkers and those who subscribe more than once using false profiles. In other words "Only the serious need apply"... General Discussion, Off topic and Fraud could be left to those who wish to consider if the forum is worth a donation.

There are over 500 members in this forum. have you ever ran through the list and counted the ones that have never posted, or are hidden?

The Canadian Dollar has the easiest and fairest currency and exchange rate with the U. S. of any other country. I know when I go to Canada I have no problem using my own money.

Ralph
LustInBlack
Devotee
Devotee

Post by LustInBlack »

The problem isn't the money. The problem is that in essence, the information is free.. I don't believe that "forcing" people to pay is a good solution ..

I have the free right to pay a donation, that's alright with me and I will in the future probably give a donation...

I strongly believe the information on the forum is worth something, but since I have read a lot, I don't see what benefit I would get from donating ..

I see the point, the management of the site tho .. The only reason I would donate then, is to convert gratitude into ca$h .. But I already pay my internet provider for giving me the opportunity to freely get the information I need, so I don't see the point of paying more...
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

double post...slow connection, grrrr...
Last edited by DrWhat on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrWhat
Addict
Addict

Post by DrWhat »

Once the secret is discovered this site will be swamped by a massive flood of visitors' and new members' posts. Probably for quite a long time, maybe indefinitely. It will be impossible for us to keep discussions going in our "little group" unless we work within Private Forums.

Advertising is the way to go but if this forum becomes financially unviable I am happy to contribute to keep it going.