Snake!

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Snake!

Post by Furcurequs »

I was awakened by the sound of a jar falling over on my kitchen counter a little while ago. (...and, yes, it's the middle of the day. I was up late.) I have some olive jars sitting there which I had washed previously and had left there to dry.

So, after realizing that the jar was probably too big to have been knocked over by a mere mouse, I decided I better investigate.

Snake!

Okay, it turned out to be just one of the seasonal black snakes which typically come inside in the springtime to look for mice. Sometimes I just hear them crawling through the walls and the ceiling and they go back outside with me never seeing them. Other times they cause adventures!

It took me a little while to catch this one since he was wrapped around some empty wine bottles which I didn't want to knock over and then he tried hiding behind my microwave oven.

I poked at him with the handle of my new mop which I bought just last night. He finally moved to a spot where I could grab his head.

His tail could touch the floor with me holding his head at shoulder level. So, he looked to be about 5 feet long.

Anyway, I carried him outside toward the end of my driveway and tossed him into the woods. Okay, I'm not sure if it was a "him" or not. I didn't bother to sex it.

The landlord has said he's seen copperheads around the place, but I've not seen one in the near 23 years I've lived here. ...and I've only seen one snake in the cabin that wasn't one of the big long black snakes. It was a little brown thing that crawled up into the chair I was sitting in. I don't remember what happened to it. I think it must have slithered out on its own.

I did once catch and release a little green snake that was in a tree outside.

I wish I had kept score on how many times I've caught black snakes inside of the cabin. It's probably close to 10 times or so.
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

re: Snake!

Post by ovyyus »

Might be a sign from Ningishzida?
Ed
Addict
Addict

Post by Ed »

Or a sign from Behrendt?
AB Hammer
Addict
Addict

Post by AB Hammer »

Or a sign for needed pest control.
Furcurequs
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Furcurequs »

I think I'm safe from serpent gods as long as I'm the one carrying them out of the cabin instead of vice versa. ...though I don't really know about serpents of the former besslerwheel.com forum variety.

I live out in the sticks on a wooded hillside above a small river and valley. There's not much controlling what goes on here.

It's a yearly cycle, then, of mice in the wintertime and snakes in the spring. The snakes actually help me with my pest control. It's just a shame they aren't around in the winter.

I confess I should have done a better job of catching the mice this winter. Several years ago I started putting any food they could get into either into my refrigerator or on top of it, so I don't notice them as much as I used to, but they're probably still here. ...well, except for that time they chewed their way into the refrigerator.

Occasionally, I will notice that they've been eating my soap or something.

I've heard that black snakes will keep other snakes away, so I really don't mind having them around if they will keep away the poisonous ones. They do startle me on occasion, though.

Those copperheads will come after you! At a friend's house in the mountains, I was getting out of my car once, and there was a copperhead on the ground near my car door. It came after me and I had to crawl onto the roof of my car to get away from it.

So, give me black snakes any day! They don't chase me. I get to chase them.

Okay, I do sometimes play with them for a little while before letting them go, too. ...and scare my friends' kids with them if I feel like getting out.
I don't believe in conspiracies!
I prefer working alone.