Search Cookie Filter Concept

Miscellaneous news and views...

Moderator: scott

Google Ignore Option Good or bad idea...?

You may select 1 option

View results

Oxygon
Aficionado
Aficionado

Search Cookie Filter Concept

Post by Oxygon »

Future browser "advanced search" option idea...

I was thinking over the past few years about a way to filter thru the pages one doesnt want to see anymore in the search of "free energy" results...

I have talked in other forums about this... but what about a "ignore" cookie...?

So I was wondering do you think that google could offer this "Cookie Filter" and by that I mean an option next to the ( Cached - Similar pages)...

they could also have ( Cached - Similar pages - Ignore)???

this option would allow your browser to add this info to a Cookie stored on your computer and ignore this url... when searching...?

Any time the url came up in a search result returned... the computer would skip to the next result in series...? Ignoring that perticular section of html...

Your thoughts...?

Also, there could be an option to display ignored results/stored URLs or to re-activate or disable the "ignore" cookie...

respond thru poll and/or text reply
"A man with a new idea is a crank until he succeeds."~ M. Twain.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

re: Search Cookie Filter Concept

Post by scott »

I said the idea "needs tweaking" because I think individually ignoring web sites or urls would quickly turn into a management and maintenance nightmare, both for individual users and for Google.

But the idea of personalizing web searches is a good one, and in fact Google has already started developing and deploying software to do this.

http://labs.google.com/personalized

There you can set up a profile (in just a few clicks with no personal information at all), and then use a slider bar to adjust the filtering level of your search results from min to max personalization. It's quite cool.

For example, I tend to get pretty interesting results when I set my profile this way and slide the personalization level up to max:

Your Profile
- Math
- Physics
- Astronomy
- Technology
- Philosophy
- History
- Environment

Best,
Scott